- In addition to the 1st line treatments of calcium, insulin-d10, bicarbonate and dialysis, effective treatment of hyperkalemia involves β2-agonists; 20mg albuterol nebulized over 10 minutes or terbutaline 0.5mg IV quickly drives potassium intracellularly.
- Proper treatment of most marine envenomations, catfish being the most common, is hot water soaks for 30-90 minutes with good wound care and a quinolone or augmentin for 5 days.
- CT abd/pelvis is only 92% sensitive for small bowel obstruction. Keep an open mind if you have strong clinical suspicion.
- Allon M. Hyperkalemia in end-stage renal disease: mechanisms and management. J Am Soc Nephrol. 1995;6(4):1134.
- Allon M, Copkney C. Albuterol and insulin for treatment of hyperkalemia in hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int. 1990;38(5):869.
- Carrette TJ, Cullen M, et al. 2002. Temperature effects on box jellyfish venom, a possible treatment for envenomated patients? Med J Aust. 177: 654.
- Glenister KM, Corke CF. Infarcted intestine: a diagnostic void. Journal of Surgery 2004. 74:260